Wednesday 24 September 2008

Girls on Film

How do you tend to spend Tuesday nights? My Tuesday nights have had a variety of commitments over the decades. In the mid-1990s, Tuesday was Student Nite at Ziggys nightclub in York (which is just as crap as the name suggests. One memorable night my best female friend and I were stood with a male friend, Dave, at the bar. A random bloke in a shiny shirt walked up and pointing at we two girls whilst addressing my mate Dave he inquired: 'they both with you?', when Dave answered in the affirmative Shiny-shirt-man responded, 'can I have one?' as if universal female suffrage had never occurred). For a while in the early noughties Tuesdays were gym nights and after I became a teacher they were stick kid in bed, work until midnight, go to sleep exhausted nights (c.ref Sunday to Thursday).

Now Tuesdays are far, far, far more wonderful than I can ever convey. Tuesdays are Curry Night (capitals ungrammatical but intentional). On Curry Night my friend comes over and we eat curry and discuss the state of the education system. This is a euphemism for thoroughly and systematically slagging off one particular school. However, last night we undertook some wonderful pastimes:

(1) planning out which songs we would dance to if we got on to Strictly Come Dancing. My answer to every single dance was a Duran Duran classic (i.e. Argentinian Tango to 'Girls on Film'. But apparently the tempo would be wrong). I worked through the Duran back catalogue and failed miserably to show any knowledge of dance whatsoever. I then chose 'Something Changed' by Pulp which was the 'first dance' song at my wedding. This led to,

(2) digging out my wedding video, heckling my ex and cheering myself. I have to say - and anyone reading this who attended might agree - I did look bloody gorgeous that day. Was that really my body? The weird thing about looking at the wedding video was I didn't feel any sort of nostalgia or regret for my marriage. I did get a little sniffly watching the wedding speech I gave but the emotion was solely about my Granddad who had died before the wedding. I'm surprised at how it isn't raw and difficult to watch my wedding video but it just shows how far I've come.

So on Curry Night I looked at girls on film from two angles. The first, the Duran early '80s classic and the second, myself on my wedding video. One is an outdated curio from a time long gone. And the other is a Duran Duran song.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah but what I want to know is, what curry did you have? I mean was it a home made one or a takeaway? Was it a chicken tikka masala or maybe a madras or something more adventurous? And then there is the question of rice... Mushroom fried, Pilau or perhaps just a plain old boiled version. Nan bread? Keema nan? Poppadoms?

It sounds like you didn't get too emotional over your ex on the wedding video. A sure sign you're getting over things and moving on.

Rio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rio said...

Ah, deti, that is the really important matter:

It was an ASDA readymade curry
- paneer and red pepper rogan josh,
- tarka dhal,
- Bombay potatoes
- boiled rice
- vegetable pakoras
- chapattis, and
- mini papads
liberally spread with Geeta's lime pickle, chilli pickle and raita.

I have no idea why I am overweight. None

Anonymous said...

Oh yes I did read on an earlier post that you are a vegetarian. I have a brain like a sieve sometimes. A proper little banquet you feasted on!

Highwaylass said...

You did look completely gorgeous.

Rio said...

And so did you!

Thanks HWL, it's always gratifying when a blatant attempt to fish for a compliment succeeds in catching a really, really big one.

Anonymous said...

I need to overcome my fear of peppers in curry though. They just don't taste all that nice. I was going to cook this week, but as previously I can't be arsed. Sorry!