Saturday 7 February 2009

The ice age

If you are British and reading this blog I warrant that you are wearing a jumper. It's parky outside. The snow has given we Britons something to talk about constantly for a week: whether to discuss has it snowed? / will it snow? / is the school shut? / is school opening tomorrow? / have they gritted? / why can't we cope with two inches of snow? It's brilliant. Being the Mum of a six year old I have had a fantastic opportunity to go sledging and snowball throwing. I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

The reason I'm enjoying it is that I'm now a constantly sunny person, irrespective of what the weather brings. On the other hand, my ex is really not in such a good place. Apparently, he and his girlfriend have finally split up for good. This led to him telling me that he wasn't going to try to get back with me. I was quite taken aback as I honestly couldn't imagine any world where we would ever be a couple again and even the suggestion seems utterly bizarre. As Heraclitus of Ephesus put so succinctly: 'everything flows and nothing abides'. Just as this snow and ice seems so permanent now in a few short days we will be back to rain and ice-free pavements. Everything flows and I couldn't go back to my ex: I'm not the same person, that period of my life is now as much history to me as the last ice age. As someone with a medieval history degree I understand the value of acknowledging history, but whilst I might be fascinated by the Black Death of 1346, I wouldn't like to experience it. My marriage is now frozen in the past for me and when the sun shines on me it is as a single and happy person.

3 comments:

Highwaylass said...

I'm reading this in the bath. Definitely not wearing a jumper. Also trying quite hard not to electrocute myself...

Rio said...

Man, you are the most connected soul I know. I thought I was bad but I have never surfed in the bath (although, to be fair, I've not had a bath since 2002 as I'm strictly a shower gal. And I don't think you can surf'n'shower...)

Highwaylass said...

Showers are good for getting clean but they're no good for relaxing.

I am leaving this mainly because I love the word I'm being invited to type: shedgma. Is this a combination of shed and dogma, whereby Alan Titchmarsh tells us what to believe? Or is it something altogether ruder? ;)